Monday, July 29, 2013

Home is where we are now.

The other day, I was going out for bubble tea with some friends and there was a sculpture that really caught my eye. It's funny though, because I pass that sculpture often, but had never really taken the time to look at it. But this day was differnt.

"Home is where we are now."

I've been in Perth now for over five weeks, and my time adjusting has been quite interesting. On my discipleship training school [DTS], everything was so new, I was so excited about being in this new place, and I had so many new faces to see each day. Being back on staff is a bit different. I have been here before. I know most of the people. One thing that is very different is the fact that in DTS, even though you are taught to serve, you are also served. On staff I am not here to be served but to serve. This is what God has called me to. God has called me here. And for this time, however long it may be, God has called me to make Perth my home. Home is where I am now. 

The last five weeks feel like four years to me with the amount of stuff I have been doing. In that, I apologize for the amount of time I have let by without posting a new blog. [If you would like to receive my proper news letter, you can email me at graceeggers@gmail.com and I will send you a separate letter!] The first week that I was here, I was able to go two hours south of Perth to a town called Busselton to visit a couple that I met on my outreach and spend some time relaxing with a friend here from YWAM and my friend from home, Kauleen who came to do a DTS. It was a great time to sleep off the jet lag, eat Kangaroo Steaks, and to spend with Christine and Steve. 

During my second week, I was back on base in Perth, and was able to help out in the Design Team on our base. Because the leader of my band, Sabo, was not back from holiday in Nigeria, I was assigned to help with Design. The Design team is in charge of beautifying the base, putting on events, and drinking lots of coffee. They build much of our furniture from scratch, and all have a very artistic eye. I was given a few odd jobs such as painting new rooms for the new July quarter training students. Oh man, was it challenging. I really felt God was growing me a lot this week in many areas, one being the area of humility and servant hood. Because I was not doing anything with music, which is what I came to do, I felt a little impatient, and God just continued to remind me to serve and serve with a happy heart! It was tough. 

The third week, I got an awesome opportunity to work with our youth ministry on base called Nexwave. Thirty staff [Nexwave ministry plus other random staff] headed down two hours south east to put on a Winter Camp for the school holidays. We had 120 campers ages 12-18. I got the opportunity to lead small groups, lead an activities group, help in the kitchen, and love on a lot of kids. We played heaps of games including a version of the tough mudder, a black-light scavenger hunt, and smoke-screen dodgeball. It was so great! I have to say it was a super challenging week however. As staff, we weren't in bed til after 11:30 PM and all up at 5 AM or before. I really felt like God challenge me in many areas, especially patience!

The next week, I was finally on base, and about to begin Band ministry. We have been meeting as a band for two full weeks now and are into our third week. Currently there are only 3 out of 5 of us in the band here, but it has been great. We have been doing things that are necessary to pioneering a ministry. Objectives, goals, values, and vision have been the things we have been praying into mostly, and using our afternoons for research on venues, equipment, but also have been doing some individual practice and group practice. We have been pumping out original songs left and right, and have just enjoyed being together as a band.

The other two of our band members get here later this week, and it will be great to feel like a complete family. One of my favorite things about this ministry is the fact that the guys in my ministry are some of my best friends, and brothers.

In the coming up months, we will be commissioned by our base and base leaders as an "Official Ministry" and then begin to play shows!

Thank you so much to those of you who has been supporting me not just in prayer, but also financially. It really means a lot to me. I am currently not up to my full needs as far as monthly support, but am trusting God. If you would like to be someone to give to me wether one time or monthly, please let me know.

In other exciting news, my band may be doing some international traveling here soon.... maybe somewhere near you.....

I also would love to send you my monthly newsletter if you don't already get it! Please let me know by commenting on this or emailing me at graceeggers@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment