Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 2 of Inhassunge

The following is written on 16 January 2013

Tuesday (Yesterday)

     Around 5:30 am I heard the roosters. A sound I actually quite enjoy waking up to; but it wasnt just one rooster, but a chain-reaction chior of roosters. The sound was acompanied by the voices of kids young and old beginning their day.
     Immediately I realized that i was covered head to to in sweat. Sarah, from California, and I are sharing Justino's room happily. We realized however, the room turns more into a baking sauna in the day. We rose to a nicely made pot of porriage. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. It was like a mix between cream of wheat and grits with a taste of oatmeal once sugar was added. We ate up knowing we would get 3 meals. No more, no less.
     After breakfast, Jason gave us a bit of a brief rundown in the morning. We had a great prayertime for Abby who at this point still hasnt joined us to to malaria and other things. Then came the prayer walk. I went out with Sam, the Indonesian on our team. On our walk we found a giant snail and a graveyward. We were able to see a bit more of the village. At one point, we stopped at a house and several kids gathered arround. We tried to communicate as best we could, and eventually gave up.
      Prayer. Prayer changes things and moves the spititual realm. And at a place like this, that is very important. The atmosphere here is one of an oppressivespirit. Inhassunge is the "university of witchcraft." That's why we must wage war on behalf of the name of Jesus.
     On our prayer walk, Sam and I did just that. We prayed over the kids we played with and just enjoyed them. Such a blessing
     When we retuned home from the walk, tehre were some local guys out chasing a pic that had just been dropped at the house. Once caught, it was put in the pantry....alive. Dinner. Yes, this pig would be killed to be both our lunch and dinner.
     For lunch, coconut lentils and rice. We eat a lot of rice. But this gave perfect energy for our afternoon of soccer. On the way there, we had a few kids follow us. Ozema held my hand and we walked to the shade and sat as spectators for the game. With all my skill, I didnt want to put others to shame, so I sat this one out....more like lack of skill.
     Soon there was about 100 people joining in to watch and play; women and children with me. They got a kick out of the fact that I was not playing. I smiled and laughed along. Sometimes I'm thankful that I can't understand what they are saying. This was one of those times.
     The sun began to set, and the team sat outside in the cool of the night chatting about the day and oher things... then it was off to bed we were.

I am so thankful for this island and God has really been giving me a heart for these people, this nation, this continent, and this world I'm living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment