Wednesday, January 9, 2013

To the ends of the earth...

Its time for Africa.

First, pardon me for any gramatical/punctuation erros. The keyboard here in Mozambique has strange set up for letterings.

Its hard to get my thoughts together right now. I have 11 minutes left here in the internet cafe to try to put my thoughts into words. So I will just try to hit some key points about what I have seen and learned here in my 10 days in Africa and what is next.

Moist. Moist is the only way I know how to describe this outreach. The sun is blazing, the humidity is extreme, and there are just only so many things you can do to stay cool. Sweat is a given. I promise, I have never been so sweaty in my life. Sweating from places I didnt know possible. But at the same time, there is so much beauty.

Beauty. The people, the land, the culture.

Mozambiques history is one of strife. Thirty years ago, it got out of a civil war that lasted for 16 years which proceeded the war for independence. But there is something deep about that, there is room for restoration and healing. And that is exactly what God is doing here.

Now. On the practical side of things.
We arrived on December 30. We speat four days in Beira. A moderate sized city. We stayed in an orphanage that is run by one of three YWAM Beira staff named Alfredo. He is running the orphanage with one other guy. He started running the orphanage at the age of 18. Thats my age. Can you even imagine? I cannot. But he has 25 young boys who he is totally showing the Father heart to.

On new years eve we got to play with those boys. Shooting fireworks, dancing, singing, praising God for the year, and just loving on eachother. I got pretty attached to a couple of them.

Other than that we helped around the orphanage with some practical clean up. I got to be apart of a group that scrubbed squaty potties and basins for bucked showers.

Thats another thing I dont think ill ever get used to. The smell of waste here.

We then traveled up to Quilemane.... a ten hour bus ride. Through the wet lands and grass lands of this countries. Through mud hut villages. Again. So much beauty.

In Quilemane, we have been doing soccer evangelism while partnering with a church. Other than that it is a lot of prayer walking, and just loving on the children. We are staying in a beautiful facility and eating well! But that wont last long.

On Friday we head out to Indugo and Inhessunge. Two islands without electricity, running water or phone service. We will be doing simple health care, and soccer camps.

Please pray for us as we have one member of our team with Malaria that has post poned our next journey!

Again so sorry for the brief update! I will be out of action for the next 4 weeks and then i will post more in depth as I am keeping a journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment