Sunday, July 8, 2012

Limestone, Fish 'n' Chips, and Caffissimo

Well my first full week has come to a close. I have been here for nine days, and I seriously cannot explain to you how much I love this place. It's Sunday night here, and I am anticipating a long week ahead. But before I get ahead of myself, let me fill you in on what this past week brought me.


This past Monday, and Tuesday were full of orientation and registration. Mainly, we learned about the base, Australian lingo and culture, and the history of YWAM Perth. EVERY-single-thing on my base happens because someone on base leadership heard from the Lord. Everything from why we have a coffee shop, why we do family chores, and why our building is mostly glass and windows has God's hand in it. It is so awesome. During these two days, we had a base wide barby, school worship, and many times devoted to fellowship.


Wednesday we officially started our lectures. This past week our lectures were on Hearing the Voice of the Lord and Quiet Times. Our speaker was one of the base leaders from South Africa. She was so good, and the things she said really hit home for me. On Thursday, she made us practice hearing from the Lord and it was so great. We all went to a quiet place on base and asked God two things: "What do you think of me, Lord?" and "What would you have for me in these six months?" One of the things we learned about was deciphering between hearing our own voice, and the Lord's voice. So the first thing I did was ask God to let me only hear His voice. Immediately I couldn't hear my own thoughts. The very first thing that came to my mind was the word "Limestone." I knew it was God for sure because there is nothing in me that would make me think of limestone on my own. So I used my handy-dandy iPhone and looked up limestone. The very first words that came up were "elegant in appearance", "pure", and "strong." That was EXACTLY what I needed to hear God say that he thinks of me. That was such a cool experience.


During this week, we also got our Family Chores, Work Duties, and Bands. Family chores is something that YWAM Perth feels very strongly about. YWAM Perth feels called to be as much of a family as it can, therefore we don't have a separate cleaning crew, but instead we all pitch in. For the next three weeks, I am on lunch set up every morning from 8:00-8:25. In three weeks, it will change, so that we all experience other areas of base. My work duty however, is lunch dishes. For the next three MONTHS from 1:30-3:30, I will be scrubbing pots and pans and then begin dinner preparations. God has such a sense of humor considering dishes was the LAST thing I wanted to do. HAHA. 


Yesterday, we found our band assignments. Our DTS of 37 people was split into 7 bands. We each have 2 hours a week to practice. Our assignment is to cover 2 songs and write an original. I am so excited about becoming close with my band and blending each of our styles. In 8 weeks we will be holding a fundraiser and performing these songs for an outreach fundraiser. 


This weekend has been so fun. Our DTS went to Fremantle (a local beach) yesterday and had the best fish 'n' chips ever. Other than that, this weekend has been full of heart-to-hearts with my fellow dts-ers, mile long walks to a caffissimo for coffee and internet usage (Facebook is currently down on base), and many laughs. I am so in love with these people, the city, and the iced coffee. 


Next weeks post will be pretty great considering tomorrow we start morning workouts at SIX AM! 


I applaud you if you have read this whole post. 
See you next week mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment